Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mardi Gras in Belgium

Happy Mardi Gras! It calls for Jambalaya for dinner. Yum. It may not be a religious affiliation, but I don't mind any excuse to celebrate a holiday that sounds fun.

Three years ago I was at a most beautiful place, Belgium, celebrating this wacky holiday in a festive and very traditional way according to Binche's local customs. And today I feel like posting pictures from three years ago because I can. Lovely. It was a good walk down memory lane.

Our first real Belgian waffles. The American version is tasteless in comparison.

The countryside was beautiful. And it's a little crazy that it was normal to walk on top of ruins from centuries ago. America doesn't even have ruins from centuries ago. Okay, maybe two. and a half. centuries. maybe.

Gilles de Binche: what all the people who dressed up are called. Too bad I don't remember what that means exactly. Binche is the town though. The concept is that the rich people dress up like poor people and the poor like the rich. The rich had food, so they ate a lot, so they were fat. Get it?

These little boys were so cute. All the male children in the town dressed up.

It was a party. A great one. A unique one. One where they threw sanguinellos (blood oranges) at you during the parade. Good times.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Julia! How fun for you to reminisce! I guess I didn't realize that was really three years ago! Crazy right? But I remember you telling me about Belgium and the delicious waffles they had! It makes me want to go on a study abroad even more now! Love you!

Noelle said...

Wow, how fun! I've never been to a place that actually celebrates it...although I have eaten Jambalaya the past two years and even tried my hand at a king cake. So is it today or was it yesterday?

Lacey said...

I'm so jealous!!!! That looks so beautiful.

larainydays said...

I would love to visit Belgium. I did get to layover in the airport there, but that didn't count.