Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Legend of the Indian Wrapper

About a month ago, I was eating one of these at work:
My wrapper had the Indian shooting a star on it. It piqued my curiosity: where does the rumor about getting a free sucker come from, and is it even true? My coworkers and I discussed, hypothesized, and researched it. We found our answer from snopes.com and the official Tootsie Roll website.

Although we discovered the rumor's roots are entirely unknown, and there was never such a promotion (at least from the company), we also found that Tootsie Roll Industries "responds to every child's letter." I decided to test them.

So I mustered up all my inner child and youthful handwriting (and unfortunately forgot to make a copy before mailing it out), and wrote Tootsie Roll Industries a letter with my enclosed Indian wrapper.

This is what I got back:
My letter--that the lady actually signed in pen, not just with a stamped autograph--was accompanied by a "top secret" story of the legend of the Indian wrapper. I shared it with my coworkers and they thought it was amazing.

If you ever have an itching to find out the "true" story of the Indian wrapper, all you have to do is send the company a letter and you, too, can have an official letter and story detailing the "Legend of the Indian Wrapper."

3 comments:

{Steve and Amanda} said...

That's so funny. I've always wondered about that. Because I have always been told that same "myth". I didn't know that Tootsie had a Top Secret story about it.

The Sabeys said...

Side note... we are hoping to get a text or an email or a call when the little guy comes! We are excited.

Lacey said...

Wait a second! This investigation of the Indian-Star wrapper myth began months ago (while I was still working there). But that's totally awesome that you mailed it in. Kudos!
Wish I could have been there for the open reading of the top secret letter.
Miss you!!